You don’t have to like your work holiday party – but you do have to survive it.
Here’s a rundown of some rules to keep in mind as you’re mixing it up outside the office this holiday season:
1. It's OK to be the first person at the company holiday party. Just don't be the last person at the company holiday party.
2. The company holiday party is not the moment to try Jagermeister or walking on your hands for the first time.
3. Everybody sees you hanging out all night at the shrimp bar eating shrimp. You're not that slick.
4. Unless you have two hours to spare talking about the BCS championship, avoid anyone at the office who went to Notre Dame or Alabama.
5. Dancing at the office holiday party is a bold move – but not as bold as dancing by yourself at the office holiday party.
6. If you're showing co-workers videos of your cat on your iPhone, it's time to go home.
7. If you come to work the next morning and discover you have 153 messages on your voice mail and a note from human resources: Just go to Starbucks and hide until New Year's Day. (The Wall Street Journal)